Living in Chelmsford
If elected the following policy will inform and guide decisions and campaigns by Chelmsford Labour Party representatives.
Delivering More Homes
- We are in dire need of good quality, well-managed and truly affordable housing in Chelmsford.
- We will look into establishing a housing development arm of the local council that develops, builds, rents and owns housing that has local peoples interest a heart.
- We will call to increase the competition between local housing developers to get the best deal for Chelmsford.
- Our Greener in Chelmsford Policy will be at the heart of all future developments.
- We will ensure we are building truly affordable homes to buy for the real wages of real people in Chelmsford, not market rates.
Delivering a Fairer Rented Sector
- We should be prioritizing the financial and physical wellbeing of those who rent houses in Chelmsford over the profits of landlords.
- We will introduce a licensing scheme to regulate rented properties and improve the quality of rented homes. (Successful in Nottingham, Southampton)
- We will look to reduce high rents in Chelmsford using short term rent controls and increasing truly affordable rent.
- We will protect and enforce the rights of tenants, and restore a council active in protecting tenants – using rent tribunals.
- We will lobby government for longer tenancies, to enable local families to feel secure in their home.
- Chelmsford has around 40-80 regular rough sleepers throughout the year and many more people in unstable housing – this should not be happening.
- We will ensure that emergency housing is settled accommodation and not simply a Bed and Breakfast, exploring the use of modular housing to rapidly tackle the homelessness crisis.
- We will explore a ‘Homes First’ policy that supports and cares for those in need.
- We will work to keep people in their homes and take a preventative approach to homelessness, taking advice from specialists on how to keep people in their existing accommodation.
Breathing Life into our City Centre
- The high street is changing and the short-sighted investment in chain stores filling our city centres has failed. We need a fresh take on what our City Centre is.
- We will promote flexibility in our high street to allow people to try new ideas and breathe life back into our high streets.
- We will establish a ‘Future High Street’ group to redesign and revamp our high street as a community-centred space.
- We will explore current trends towards flexible workspaces, investing in small businesses to enable growth and jobs.
- Creating a cultural centre – We want to promote and protect Chelmsford legacy and future, by preserving our history and making our city appealing to new people.
- Engage and invest in local community, heritage and arts programmes to ensure they succeed.
- Use unoccupied local spaces to create creative and representative projects and jobs for local people.
- Celebrate our diverse culture, and the cultures of all the people that make up Chelmsford through events and festivals.
- Introduce the Shop Local campaign in Chelmsford to spend £5 per week in a local shop, café or business.